You can download a PDF of my resumé here, or read the identical resumé below:
Journalism Student & Multimedia Journalist
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | 781-801-8799 | rhysheyden.com
4100 Nebraska Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20016
I am a 21-year-old student and journalism major at American University in Washington, D.C, set to graduate in May 2013. I have had a lifelong fascination with the news and the journalists who tell it. My ultimate goal is to discover, delve into, and disseminate the world’s most compelling stories in a highly creative and consequential fashion.
• American University (Aug. 2010 to May 2013) | 3.86 GPA
Journalism Major, Minor in History
• Danish Institute For Study Abroad, Copenhagen (Aug. – Dec. 2012) | 3.81 GPA
Communication Program, Won Academic Excellence Award
• Rigsarkivet (Danish National Archives) – (October 2012 – December 2012)
I worked part-time as a historical researcher while studying abroad. I was paid for this position, which required me to search, photograph, annotate, and analyze a wide variety of historical sources.
• Current Newspaper – (January 2012 – August 2012)
I was an editorial intern at Current’s office in Washington, D.C. This internship operated through the selective SOC Dean’s Internship program. I wrote over 50 articles, contributed research, blogged, and worked extensively on web strategy, launching Current’s new website. I was promoted to full-time for the summer.
• GateHouse Media New England – (May 2011 – Aug. 2011)
I was a summer editorial intern at GHMNE. I wrote over 25 articles, took pictures, edited content, published content to the web, and worked with fellow interns and reporters in an active newsroom.
• The Eagle (American University Newspaper) – (Aug. 2010 to Present)
I’ve written articles for “The Eagle” for three years and am also a blogger.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Final Cut, HTML, CSS, WordPress.
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Flavors.me.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Journalistic skills include: copyediting, feature writing, news-writing, photojournalism, writing press releases, sports-writing, and layout/design.
- Recipient of American University Dean’s Scholarship; Named to School of Communication Dean’s List; Recipient of selective SOC Dean’s Internship.
- Recipient of the Academic Excellence Award for the Communication and Media Program, Fall 2012 at Danish Institute for Study Abroad.
- Nominated for membership in Kappa Tau Alpha, an elite journalism honor society.
- Nominated for 2013 University Awards at American University Commencement.
- Have traveled to 28 U.S. states and 23 countries.
- Member of ONA (Online News Association), and 2010 conference attendee.
- Proud Unitarian Universalist, with an emphasis on social justice, community service, and environmental conscientiousness.